On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 10:10, Adrian German wrote:
> One last question would be about the relative performance of compressed
> HTTP vs. technologies currently used for Instant Messaging such as
> Jabber. I know that this is too general but I'd be very interested to
> know if (in your experience, or just in your opinion) Jabber-like
> technologies are clearly superior, or clearly inferior, or simply not
> comparable with compressed HTTP for the kind of applications mentioned
> above (ministations in the field connecting to server periodically and
> transmitting data). I thank you in advance and am looking forward to any
> replies.

There's been a fair bit of work done at my job site on Jabber wrapped in
Ruby - http://rubyforge.org/projects/jabber4r/ - to connect to servers
and send status messages for a distributed agent society -
http://cougaar.org/.   The status messages we're sending around are
usually pretty small - they top out at about 20K - so this may not be
comparable to what your doing.

FWIW, I think Jabber might add a bit more complexity then you need -
Jabber is a messaging protocol and so it's tuned for little messages
flying all over the place.  What you're doing sounds like a good match
for the things you suggested - compressed HTTP, zipped SMTP as Serge
suggested, or maybe even FTP.

Yours,

tom