Marcus Sundman wrote:

Would it be possible to have symlinks like
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-latest.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/elsewhere-latest.html
that would point to the latest news?

we'd then risk people losing long term urls. probably getting apache to
do temporary redirects from those urls would be ok, though. of course,
i'd be interested to know what other people think on this before
actually doing anything about it...

Well, now one can't bookmark the news pages because the URLs change every once in a while, so something should be done.

Neither symlinks nor temporary redirects are very good solutions. I think people most often want to see the latest news, e.g. a list of all news items less than N days old. If all news are on pages categorized e.g. by month then N will keep changing all the time (N=0 exactly when the month changes). Thus almost no one would see news posted in the very end of the month.

I think the best solution would be to have one page with news <N days old, and then have a completely separate news archive where news are categorized by month/year/whatever. The former could have news from both Jakarta and elsewhere on the same page, preventing people from having to check two URLs when reading news. The latter could have different categories for Jakarta news and other news.

Seems like you are describing MovableType. Why then simply not install it? (and disable comments)

Vadim