Something big is stirring in the java world. There's talks between Sun and IBM about releasing an open source version of java. There's talks between the linux desktop movers about adopting java as the glue that binds the major desktop projects together.

Key ASF individuals are joining these discussions, on weblogs and various discussion forums. But the ASF as a whole is silent.

Apache is one of the biggest open source communities, and the leader of the pack when it comes to open source java.

I think the Apache community should work together on an open letter to Sun, IBM, and the rest of the open source community stating our shared position on the subject. Like Havoc Pennington writes (http://ometer.com/desktop-language.html), the "Community Should Decide" and "It's time to start the discussion".

WDYT?

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons