Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 20/03/2004 08:52:35 AM:

[snip]
> We already effectively have Expert Groups, we call them the PMC. Project
> Leads, aka active-voice on the project/component. I'm not sure it hurts
> for us to have a project-lead on things, in fact I think it's something
> Apache should have. Defined responsibility.

I've seen this 'defined responsibility' drive people away from projects.

I've also seen projects with a strong leader wallow as their leader has
gone off and started something new and more fun. Bugs lie unfixed and the
software stagnates.

Having multiple people share the load is a far better model, IMHO.

> People view this as anti-community, but I think it's pro-community. Who
is
> responsible to the community for Tomcat 3 at the moment? The community?
> That seems like we're kidding ourselves. The ASF-way merely means that
> it's easy to fill a project-lead gap, or to join in. Not that the
> project-leads don't exist.

[snip]
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting