On Apr 20, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:

I wasn't trying to put you in a bad light -- truly I wasn't. I apologize for coming across that way.

No problem.

I regret that you had a bad experience with OJB and lost development time and effort as a result -- and I want to make OJB better. OJB has definite rough spots, I certainly cannot claim otherwise. It does do a lot of things very well though, and I intend to do what I can to help it get even better (and clean up the rough spots). Release management is something we have done very poorly thus far.

We have a lot of code invested in OJB. We'd like to resolve our issues by moving to the latest release candidate (or final release) if possible, if we can pass all unit tests.
I for one would like to see Jetspeed-2 continue to support OJB as a persistence back-end, so we can concentrate on other features.
Writing a new Hibernate persistence back-end will take up valuable developer time which could be better spent on needed portal features.

I wasn't asking you why were looking at Hibernate (it is a great project), I was offering to try to help make OJB work for you in order to help solve your problem (O/R mapping compatible with the restrictions on what we can put in ASF cvs) as Hibernate, unfortunately, cannot to my knowledge be linked in ASF codebases. I don't have any investment in whether you use OJB, Hibernate, TJDO, Cayenne, Speedo, EJB-CMP, iBatis, Spring-DAO, or Fazoogle Data Objects.

Yes, as Noel states we cannot import modules.

I'd like to say that I have used OJB in one project, but I didn't use any of the advanced features.
I saw the problems we were having in Jetspeed-2, and steered clear of any complex object-relationship management provided by OJB.
This project has now had months of production usage and OJB has performed very well. We don't have one bug logged against OJB.

Since you are offering your help, I invite you to join the jetspeed-dev list where we can discuss our issues in more detail.
Let me know when you have joined and I will start a thread there.

Look forward to working with you on our OJB issues, thanks again,

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software