I keep the keys that I've used to sign the releases that I have done on
a floppy disk away from any networked system. If you have the sign keys
on an Apache server and if these servers ever get hacked (and it _will_
happen), then you have compromised the whole chain of trust.

I very much prefer to keep the signing keys away from networked
infrastructure.

        Regards
                Henning

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 01:32, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> I wish we could get away from PGP keys (though I understand it helps
> limit liability). It tends to be a decidely manual step, and error
> prone.  I generate my PGP keys on my local machine and upload, it
> might be easier if I could figure out how to get my GnuPG key
> translated to a PGP key compatible with the tools on
> jakarta.apache.org, so I could sign the files there.
>
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:25:20 +0100, robert burrell donkin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 15 Jul 2004, at 20:51, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > BTW, I just now realized that we have a couple of releases that are
> > > neither PGP signed nor accompanied by MD5 hashes, this should be
> > > strongly discouraged IMHO.  In particular since Ant supports
> > > generation of MD5 hashes since a few years now - and so does Maven.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > i'm not sure what can be done about it, though. maybe the pmc could
> > insist that all new release have sums and signatures.
> >
> > > Finally I'd move the section about archived builds to the bottom as
> > > well.  Thinking about it, I should probably mock up a design to show
> > > what I mean, will do so next week unless I get shot down before 8-)
> > >

> > cool.
> >
> > i've been playing around with tables so maybe i'll post up a mock
> > somewhere too.
> >
> > - robert

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

                       --Michelle Levesque, "Fundamental Issues with
                                    Open Source Software Development"