Excuse the cross post, I wanted to get this out to the Ant and Maven lists as well.

In the larger community the BSD default format is refered to as SVF (Simple File Verification) and the GNU md5sum format as MD5SUM, I suspect it would be good to see these as output features/options that could be set within Ant and Maven to allow developers to choose the md5 output format one would like to use. Yes, I do believe this would be an excellent feature enhancement to these tools.

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

Both Maven and Ant only insert only the checksum into the file. I believe they resolve the location of the actual source file from the name of the checksum file, which forces all checksum files to reside in the same directory as thier source files.

This represents a problem if you want verify the generated checksum on *nix or BSD using md5sum or cksum as these tools require the file path (relative to the md5) to actually be present in the md5 file and I do not believe there is any way around this.

-Mark

Martin Cooper wrote:

Do you happen to know which flavour Ant creates? For Struts releases,
the Ant build file generates the MD5 files using the <checksum> task.
That seems like a pretty obvious way to generate them for any project
that uses Ant, but the task doesn't appear to have any switch for
determining flavour (and the docs don't appear to say anything about
different flavours of MD5).

--
Martin Cooper

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:06:00 -0400, Mark R. Diggory