Those building with Maven may be interested in:
http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-rpm-plugin/index.html
http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-deb-plugin/index.html

I haven't used them myself. I'm not sure how they go managing Java
dependencies, for example.

In Maven, we've talked and thought about working towards a general
distribution interface so that you can easily repackage your project
dist as tarball, zip, nsis exe and rpm in one go with some small glue
scripts if needed.

Cheers,
Brett