Copying to both Jakarta and the board as an FYI.

Waited until tonight to make sure the Tomcat subcommunity were happy with the email being sent, which they were.

Hen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:08:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kate Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Apache Public Relations <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache Tomcat 5.0 error in JOLT announcement

Hi Kate,

I'd like to thank SD/Jolt on behalf of the Jakarta community for the JOLT "Productivity Winner" award for Apache Tomcat 5.0. Media recognition of the work the Tomcat community puts in is always very welcome.

I'm also writing to let you know about an error on your JOLT product excellence awards press release because I am concerned it might be reproduced in your forthcoming June 2005 issue:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/pressroom/jolt_winners_2005.pdf

The release attributes Apache's Tomcat 5.0 product to "The Apache Jakarta Project and leading Tomcat contributor JBoss".

The big problem with this attribution is that Apache does not have a concept of leading contributors. It is completely out of sync with the very philosophies that lie at the heart of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF), as there are 70 committers to the Tomcat codebase, many of whom are employed by other companies or contribute individually.

We would like to request that this be changed to:

"Tomcat 5.0 (The Apache Software Foundation)"

in both the press release (pdf url above) and the forthcoming June 2005 issue.

Officially, the name of the project is "Apache Tomcat 5.0", and not just "Tomcat 5.0", and we'd appreciate that change too if possible, but the major concern is the suggestion of a 'leading' contributor.

Many thanks,

Henri Yandell
Vice President, Apache Jakarta Project
The Apache Software Foundation