Can we please separate the two different topics being discussed here?

The original purpose of this discussion was to see if there is general concensus that a Webapp Commons (or whatever name we end up with) is a good idea. If we think it is, then we need to develop a charter, come up with a name, and officially make the proposal to the PMC. We also need to discuss other aspects, such as whether or not we want to follow the Jakarta Commons model, with separate Proper and Sandbox components.

Once we've got to that point, we can have discussions about the various sources from which code might be contributed. Some of those will be from inside of Jakarta, or other ASF projects, and some might be from external sources. IMHO, the discussion of potential external sources and potential new ASF committers is premature at this point. I think we need to get off the ground first.

Finally, I'll point out that any substantive contributions would need to come in through the incubator. That being the case, we're not in any position to make judgements or promises, here and now, about what can be brought in and / or who may or may not become committers on the new subproject.

(Frank, I am *not* trying to shut you out. I'm simply trying to get the new subproject off the ground without complicating things by discussing external elements prematurely.)

--
Martin Cooper