On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 00:49 -0300, Felipe Leme wrote:
> Apache Wiki wrote:
> >
> > Please do not edit comments into this text: please use the
> > CharterForWebCommonsRequestForComments
>  > or post to  [http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html General At
> Jakarta].
>
> OK, here I am posting :-)
>
> I'd like to suggest 2 things:
>
> 1.We prefereably use Maven for the builds, as it helps a lot handling
> the dependencies (if we stick to Ant, we should at least use Ivy or M2
> Ant stuff for dependency management). For instance, I haven't applied
> some patches to the Jakarta Taglibs because my computers are not set for
> building them anymore (and I don't have the time/patience to fix it).

jakarta commons is agnostic (but uses maven for the website). i'd
recommend official agnosticism with unofficial encouragement to maven.
it is a good idea to provide ant scripts generated by maven in SVN.

> 2.Regarding the Jakarta Taglibs, we should create the new taglibs from
> scratch. I mean, of course we should reuse the code, but we better do
> some refactoring first (for instance, eliminating redundant taglibs,
> defining a role for TLD names, etc...) - the current Jakarta Taglibs
> would then be "frozen in time".

IMHO it would probably be more convenient to maintain these frozen
taglibs (from an official perspective) within the new subproject. with
subversion, it's really nice and easy to have cool directory
structures...

> 3.What about the Standard Taglibs? Should it be part of this new project
> or should it be a separate project. The reasoning here is that, because
> that sub-project provide the codebase for JSTL's implementation (and
> maybe other JSR taglibs in the future as well, such as the Web Services
> taglib), its development activities/cycles might be different from the
> "non-standard" ones (we could even try to apply the TCK on such projects
> in the future, for instance).

if the new subproject is anything like the commons then each component
will have it's own development rhythm.

it might be easier to raise extra hands when needed for these efforts if
these share the same infrastructure (mailing lists, subproject
organization and so on).

opinions?

- robert