On 3/5/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I notice that Commons and HTTP Components both have charters. Other
> subprojects may have them and I've just missed in my very quick look.
>
> Do these serve any purpose? Are they a legacy of the days when we tried to
> create an ASF-like structure within Jakarta to organize things?

They were originally created to define the (sub)projects we were creating,
and they still serve that purpose. If you get rid of the charter, where
would you propose that we define the purpose and scope of these projects?
And what would you call that if it isn't a charter?

Any reason not to go ahead and kill these subproject charters?

 Yes. See above. There needs to be some place where we state the "official"
purpose and scope, and that isn't just some words that someone happened to
use as a description on some page that's part of the site.

Say some Prolog constraint framework decided it wanted to be part of
Commons. Where would you point them to explain that that's not what Commons
is about?

--
Martin Cooper

Hen