Agreed and +1 to the changes..

sebb wrote:
Generally I find that patches are much easier to process as Bugzilla
attachments, rather than sent to the developer list as an attachment.

And if the patch is large, it uses everyones mail resources, most of
whom aren't interested.

Just received such a patch on JMeter - the poster helpfully has a blog
where he says that he followed the guidelines in:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html#Patches

which do indeed suggest sending patches to the developer mailing list.

I'd like to suggest a change, so that the preferred method of
submitting patches is via Bugzilla or JIRA.

In the case of projects using JIRA, I believe that asks for a software
grant, so it's important that code is submitted that way.

[Actually, I'm not sure when emailed patches are appropriate...]

In short : with very simple patches (eg fixing a typo in the docs) I think a patch as attachment is appropiate. Instead of applying the patch I will simply correct the typo by hand.. So it could be usefull to mention this. Though I prefer code patches to be in an issue tracker, so it is traceable (at least if people add the issuenumber in the commit message)

Mvgr,
Martin

I'd also like to split the patch section into two:

Patch Creation

Patch Submission

Any objections to this?

If not, I'll make a start on updating the text - and put a copy on my
home page for review.

Sebastian (sebb AT AO)