Hola,

I'm more surprised to hear that Tomcat have a fork of modeler; I thought
it was Tomcat that created it in the first place.

Yeah, it was Tomcat that created it in the first place.  The fork is
very very recent IIRC, and an imperfect development due to a larger
problem, as you wrote:

This is indicative of a larger problem with Commons I think - why are
people not attracted into getting involved with the commons source and
instead have their own versions?

Not sure.  With modeler, and dbcp, and maybe other commons projects,
they were spun out of the original project (tomcat) in order to create
a community around them, make them more generic, allow other projects
(within Apache and outside) to use them easily, etc.  But over time,
for whatever reasons, these didn't happen with modeler.

Now from the Tomcat perspective, we have a dilemma: we can't make
backwards-incompatible changes to modeler that are very specific to
Tomcat because then we break the "contract" that was made when modeler
became its own component.

What can be changed to not scare people away?

Not sure.

Yoav