Actually

the cactus provides different implementations for the
different JVMs. My purpose is to make available for
download only the JVM 1.4 version in the binary archive.
If one needs an older version one can get it from the
Maven repository, where I will place all of the archetypes.
I have committed changes on the downloads page.

The changes.xml is a bit old, and I plan to update it.
One option is to generate it automatically from the JIRA,
but I will decide this later.

I want to check that the archives are OK and propose them
for a vote and after that I will deal with the site.

The Xref and Javadoc reports are in the Resources menu:

http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.8.0/resources/index.html