Jeff Squyres wrote:
Roland and I chatted on the phone today; I think I now understand Roland's counter-proposal (I clearly didn't before). Let me try to summarize:

1. Add a new verb for "set this userspace flag to 1 if mr X ever becomes invalid" 2. Add a new verb for "no longer tell me if mr X ever becomes invalid" (i.e., remove the effects of #1)
3. Add run-time query indicating whether #1 works
4. Add [optional] memory registration caching to libibverbs

Prior to talking to Roland, I had envisioned *one* flag in userspace that indicated whether any memory registrations had become invalid. Roland's idea is that there is one flag *per registration* -- you can instantly tell whether a specific registration is valid.

Given this, let's keep the discussion going here in email -- perhaps the teleconference next Monday may become moot.
I think the new proposal is good (but I am not MPI expert)
If we implement it soon we will be able to enable it in OFED 1.5 too
I think the cache in libibverbs can be delayed since it can be added after the API will the kernel is avilable

Tziporet