Fragments do behave like usual bundles you just can't start them cause they
are attached to a host and need to be found by the host.
But yes you are right for the host bundle to realize the fragment is gone
it needs to be refreshed / restarted.
Though for those kind of dynamics I'd prefer using a OSGi service, that is
a far better approach for dynamics and plugin behavior,
especially the whiteboard extender is best to be used for a "plugin"
architecture.

My first Vaadin Demo that got me to creating the pax-for-vaadin project
uses services for it's dynamics, it can be found at [1].

regards, Achim

[1] - https://github.com/ANierbeck/osgi-vaadin-demo