Well, at first I thought I was having a problem getting my system to recognize
my sandisk usb memory stick.  But after reading through the forum on getting
a memory stick to work, I think my problem may be a little bigger.

The system immediately recognizes the memory stick, but not as a SCSI drive.
Before I plug it in, there is an empty subdirectory:
/dev/ub/

As soon as I plug it in, it makes a new subdirectory:
/dev/ub/a/

which contains the following block devices:
/dev/ub/a/disc
/dev/ub/a/part1

I can use cfdisk to look at "/dev/ub/a/disc" and see it has a fat16 partition,
and I know the memory stick is ok because I use it every day on another
system.  But every time I try to mount it with either of the following, I'm
told there is a bad superblock, or there are too many file systems mounted.
mount /dev/ub/a/part1 /mnt/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/a/part1 /mnt/usb

Coincidently, I also just noticed that I have the same error and cannot mount
any msdos floppies.

I've gone through my kernel several times, and have all the file formats for
windows and vfat, etc. enabled, but I must be missing something.