Anton A. Arapov posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:39:37 +1000:

> Thanks... I remarked 'firebird' in use.mask. Now all ok...
>
> Strange, but I looked for 'firebird' in amd64 2005.0 profile before and
> cann't find em... :-\

It probably isn't there, because of the cascading profiles thing.  That
means anything not specifically changed is inherited from the parent
profile, usually the parent dir, which inherits from its parent, all the
way up the tree to the main default-linux profile, which inherits from
../base according to the parent file.  Follow the cascade from your
profile dir up the tree until you find firebird mentioned in use.mask.
IIRC, it's in default-linux/amd64.

> Where I can read _what exactly_ not working in Firebird under AMD64!?

I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned exactly what fails.  IIRC the mask
simply mentions it is copied over from a previous profile.  Also check the
Gentoo amd64 technotes.  It was mentioned there, IIRC, but again, IDR
anything specific except that it didn't work.  Beyond that, I'd suggest
checking the bugzilla database.  Perhaps it was mentioned there somewhere.
Either that or one of the devs should hopefully remember what the issue
was that caused it to be masked.

It may have been a problem with gcc-3.3 that was fixed with 3.4 but since
everybody that might have tried it "knew" it didn't work, nobody knows it
works yet.  <g>  Of course, more likely it has something to do with some
code that's not 64-bit clean, either integer vs. pointer length
assumptions or the like, which can be fixed fairly easy by someone knowing
C, or worse, something directly 32-bit x86 assembly coded, that's
incompatible with 64-bit assembly.  That too can be fixed, but it's a hard
rewrite of the assembly section in question, which not only takes someone
that knows both 32-bit and 64-bit assembly, but also requires that someone
be interested enough in the application at hand for it to be worth their
trouble to fix up, ideally, with support from upstream, so their fixes get
worked back into the application code for future releases as well.

> Today morning I started firebird server and simple SQLs works correctly.

I'm glad it's working!