Mark Haney wrote:

System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames)
is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has been done
intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid
setting will result in problems when creating data projects.
Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
take care of this.

As far as I can tell it doesn't have any negative impact.  It looks like
it wants the LC_* environment vars set - which maybe should be set by
baselayout or something.  I imagine it is just a non-ideality unless you
are using foreign character sets (in which case you likely know more
about locales than I do!).

Is anybody around here knowledgeable about locales/etc?

I noticed on the notes after the upgrade that k3bsetup isn't included in
the ebuild now.  So, my question is, how do I fix this, or is it even a
problem?

I believe the message indicated that it wasn't included because it was
no-longer needed.  So you shouldn't need to do anything.  This utility
checks executable/device permissions and adjusts them so that users can
burn discs.   Apparently gentoo's permissions now work out-of-the-box.

Oh - one thing I did notice about the new k3b is that you might want to
turn on auto-blanking of rewritable media.  While testing this package I
was able to get it to create a DVD with leftover directory entries from
the previous image (which didn't work - the directory entries were there
but the files were not - ls showed them in flashing red).