Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> posted
200904240940.01333.hwoar...@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on  Fri, 24 Apr
2009 09:39:52 +0100:

> qmake will read the QMAKESPEC variable. This variable is 'usually' set
> as /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/default which is a symlink to the actual
> mkspec. So my symlink is right
>
> That is
>
> Eternity ~ # ls -la /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/|grep default lrwxrwxrwx  1
> root root   12 2009-04-23 19:33 default -> linux-g++-64

But could it be failing to dereference the symlink?  IOW, is it trying to
match "default" rather than "linux-g++-64"?  I've seen that error a
number of times and it's a hard one to catch in the logic flow if one's
dereference assumptions are incorrect.

> Of course it needs further investigation but it is rather complicated
> to do this right now

Understood.

The problem just interested me enough to see what I could make of it, and
I posted what I came up with in the hope that it might be of help to you
or anyone else deciding to take it further... which decision would depend
on having the time, of course.  If you/we are lucky, some other user with
a bit of time and technical skills is reading, and will find the
discussion intriguing enough to followup on and file a bug with a patch.
=:^)

Meanwhile, as you said, "the workaround is quite safe and doesn't cause
any further problems :)"