On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 15:19 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Freitag 24 April 2009, Frank Peters wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I just switched to Gentoo from another distribution and my
> > only regret is that I did not make the switch much earlier.
> > Gentoo is a fantastic way of managing Linux and I am grateful
> > to all those who have made it possible.
> >
> > However, as I continue to build my current Linux x64 (amd64)
> > system with emerge, there is one minor annoyance that I can't
> > eliminate.  During each emerge there is a warning message:
> >
> > * Your CFLAGS contains "-m64" which can break packages.
> > * Your CXXFLAGS contains "-m64" which can break packages.
> >
> > My system is no-multilib; it is a pure 64-bit system.  The
> > "-m64" compiler flag will not, and does not, adversely affect
> > the system in any way.
> >
> > As I mentioned, this warning is merely an annoyance, but it
> > does slow down the emerge process for several seconds as
> > the program pauses to give sufficient time for the warning
> > message to be read.  If a large number of packages is being
> > emerged, this can add up to a lot of time.
> >
> > Is there some way I can eliminate this warning without removing
> > the "-m64" option?
> >
> > Frank Peters
>
> remove the -m64 option because it is not needed at all. In fact, multilib or
> no multilib does not make any difference. Remove that flag.

To further elaborate:  Portage takes care of passing -m32 and -m64 as
necessary.  Since you have a no-multilib system, it will never pass -m32
(and actually, never -m64 either, since we use a x86_64 compiler by
default) and everything will be fine.

That warning is there to keep people from overriding portage and
breaking things.

Daniel