On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> posted gt7r28$cq...@ger.gmane.org,
> excerpted below, on  Wed, 29 Apr 2009 00:05:33 +0300:
>
>> I have "defaults,noatime" and yet mount reports:
>>
>> /dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
>>
>> Where does "rw,barrier=1,data=ordered" come from if not from "defaults"?
>
> Those (but for rw which is the normal default) are defaults of either
> the kernel or the filesystem itself, as set at mkfs time or with tune2fs.
>
> There's really quite a hierarchy of options and fall-thru defaults:
>
> Anything set on the mount commandline takes priority (well, after
> physical properties such as read-only for CDROM and floppies with write-
> protect set),
>
> followed by what's in fstab or the hal config,
>
> followed by options set for that particular filesystem at mkfs time or
> with the filesystem tuner (tun2fs, reiserfstune, whatever),
>
> followed by kernel defaults specific to that type of fs (ext3 defaulted
> to data=ordered but that's set to change to data=writeback in 2.6.30,
> after some fixes they've done but it's still rather controversial),
>
> followed by mount's normal defaults.

Seems root mounts get special treatment as well.  Compare my / & /opt
- both ext4, both created identically & mounted with just noatime:

/dev/vg/root on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/vg-opt on /opt type ext4 (rw,noatime)

Or perhaps its just more verbose since like Duncan said data=ordered
is the default & barriers are currently disabled on lvm.

Wil