I need to bring up-to-date a Sempron gentoo box (march=k8) which was not
updated for more than one year. At first I was hoping to use the binpkg
generated on my main system (Athlon64 X2, march=athlon64) to do a quick
update, but the arch's are not compatible.

So I started an emerge -uDv system, it complained about linux-utils
blocking coreutils, I unmerged the first one but had to interrupt the
emerge with a shutdown, then the system failed to boot due to missing
'mount' executable...

What I'll do now is boot from CD, save the old /etc, reinstall the
system from a recent stage3, then use distcc to do a quicker emerge
world. But while the main system has gcc-4.3.2, the stage3 contains
gcc-4.2.1. According to distcc instructions, gcc should be the same
version on all systems. So I probably need to update the gcc on the old
system before starting the distcc. This will be LONG.

Any other options I have?

thanks,

raffaele