Branko Badrljica <bran...@avtomatika.com> posted
4a01a58c.2040...@avtomatika.com, excerpted below, on  Wed, 06 May 2009
16:58:20 +0200:

> Duncan wrote:
>> Then, look at memory model.  Here, with current kernels, I have only
>> one option, Sparse.  However [some have the] Flat and Discontiguous
>> options as well.

> I thought those extra options were just for NUMA systems and were about
> how the memory from several NUMA nodes "fits together" ie whether it has
> to form one continuos memory range or not.

It's possible.  The documentation on them is a bit limited, and I may
have inferred more than was justified from the fact that the options
there were so similar to the ones in my BIOS that (seemed to) control the
>4-gig memory layout.  It's also worth noting that I DO have a NUMA
system here, so my somewhat trial and error method of finding what worked
for me included that factor as well, and I may have misattributed the
effects.

Never-the-less, it was the two BIOS options and the two kernel options,
that together I tweaked, until I came up with a config that gave me use
of all of memory, the GART based IOMMU (without which I found I couldn't
boot at all with >4 gig addressable memory, because my SIL_SATA PCI-X
hardware and/or the kernel driver for it are evidently legacy-PCI and the
kernel would halt trying to access the disk in DMA mode addressing above
4G RAM), and NUMA.

Oh, something else I found didn't work, but this is a chipset specific
errata I believe.  AGP fast-writes simply don't work on this system.  I
had to disable them both in the BIOS and in xorg.conf.  That's something
else people might want to watch for.