On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 05:02:18 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 10 Mar 2017 11:23, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> > -   "distdir": "/usr/portage/distfiles",
> > +   "distdir": "/var/portage/distfiles",
> > -   "local_overlay": "/usr/local/portage",
> > +   "local_overlay": "/var/portage/repos/local",
> > -   "packagedir": "/usr/portage/packages",
> > +   "packagedir": "/var/portage/packages",
> > -   "portdir": "/usr/portage",
> > +   "portdir": "/var/portage/repos",
> > -   "repo_basedir": "/usr",
> > +   "repo_basedir": "/var/portage/repos",
>
> sticking everything under /var/portage doesn't seem like an
> improvement to me.  where was the discussion that ended up with these
> values ?  seems like it should be:
>       repo_basedir:  /var/lib/portage/repos/
>       portdir:       /var/lib/portage/repos/gentoo/
>       local_overlay: /var/lib/portage/repos/local/
>       packagedir:    /var/lib/portage/packages/
>       distdir:       /var/cache/portage/distfiles/
> -mike

your behind the times, I changed it to /var/gentoo as the base in the
pending branch.  The main idea is to keep the path short as possible I
think

They were just temporary anyway.  But that is also what work sets them
under.  Personally I put them under /var/db on my machine, where the
vardb is stored.  But lately, I pretty much just use teh git tree wich
is in a subdir of my user home directory.

The original email thread in -dev a few years ago never could come to
any kind of consensus where the new default should be.  It is going to
have to be a council decision to set the new default.

We'll have to  send a new email to the list with the main options, try
to get them to vote on their preference, just to satisfy council before
they make a choice.

I need to send a couple more patches to the list.  But I need to get a
couple things cleared up first.
--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen>