On Monday 11 April 2005 10:42 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:23:29 +0200 Christian Parpart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> | On Monday 11 April 2005 8:26 am, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> | > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:57:12 +0200 Christian Parpart
> | > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> | > |

> | > Because you can pull out a meaningful and relevant changeset without
> | > having to arse around with path prefixes.
> |
> | Do you have to? If so, why?
>
> Well, surprisingly enough, one of the main reasons we use these version
> control things is so that we can see *what changed*. It's a hell of a
> lot easier to do this when you can just say "show me everything that
> changed in the foo project between three days ago and today" rather than
> having to worry about adding in extra selections to pick a project path.

yeah ;)

> | > |

> | > Not repo IDs. Revision IDs.
> |
> | That's the one I meant. yeah.
>
> And, said revision IDs are useful for keeping track of what's changed.
> Or, at least, they are if you know that an update of 3 in the revision
> number is equivalent to three changesets, which you don't if you use
> multiple projects per repo.

This eases the understanding of course. However, sometimes moving file X from
project foo to bar makes sense. I do not say that *you* will be in such
situation, but I know I already went in. And besides, I'm (not related to
gentoo) keeping multiple repositories for different projects and (where it
makes sense) project categories.

> | > So we should make the same mistakes as them? Sure, a single repo
> | > would be usable, but multiple repos would be a heck of a lot better.
> |
> | Seriousely, this is plain low FUD unless you can give me a decent
> | argument on  why the ASF made a mistake here.
>
> One big repository is harder to work with. It's that simple.

Might be personal taste, I can't feel here with you, but this is *all* not
part of GLEP36. So, let's break here the loop ;)

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
 23:25:53 up 19 days, 12:32,  4 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.71, 0.65