I have the following situation:
- a package (valgrind) that can be compiled with PIE and uses PIE
  for some purpose or other if it is supported
- tests (make check) that cannot be compiled with PIE

In the upstream release CFLAGS is reset to "-Wno-long-long", but I would
prefer to allow customised CFLAGS. I already asked the developers why
they reset the CFLAGS, but I haven't received an answer.
I made a small modification to configure to enable the use of make.conf's 
CFLAGS, but now some problems occur. The first problem is a problem even
without this modification.

If compiled with the hardened gcc profile, -fno-pie has to be specified
when compiling the tests or it will fail. Specifying -fno-pie always
will force me to disable any PIE support through configure as well.

I tried to adapt the makefiles to disable pie themselves for the tests
only, but then I have another problem:

What if the user specifies -fpie in make.conf? 
The compilation of the tests will fail because -fpie (from the environment) 
will end up in CFLAGS after -fno-pie (from the makefile).
If I use flag-o-matic to filter out -fpie, it will add -fno-pie everywhere
and disable PIE altogether.

I'm looking for a solution that preferably:
- uses (some of) make.conf's CFLAGS
- compiles with all gcc profiles and all CFLAGS (filtering some is ok)
- does not disable PIE altogether

Is there such a solution?

Maurice.

-- 
Maurice van der Pot

Gentoo Linux Developer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.gentoo.org
Creator of BiteMe!       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.kfk4ever.com

Attachment: pgpB0CvbLCLUx.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to