Duncan wrote:
> Is the modularization going to be handled much as the KDE splits were
> handled?  That is, as with KDE having both the multilithic (multi- due to
> still having multiple category packages) and split ebuilds available for
> 3.4, will xorg 6.9 (current imake monolithic build system, according to
> the link above) and 7.0 (modularized autotools based build) exist at the
> same time, with xorg-7.0 being effectively a meta-ebuild of the multiple
> individual packages, similar to kdebase-meta, or will we switch to
> modularized immediately (or...)?

I haven't decided yet. Well-justified arguments one way or the other
would be useful.

> Once we go 7.0/modularized, what will it look like in terms of the
> versioning of the individual components?  As with KDE, are they going to
> say in sync with the main upstream release, with individual new package
> versions getting -rN revision numbers, or are we going to have individual
> package versions with no relation to the xorg release, save for the
> xorg-7.x meta-ebuild having deps on >= whatever the highest component
> ebuild version for that particular package was at that point?

It's going to be quite different from KDE, because xorg upstream will be
modularized and separately versioned, rather than us breaking up their
semi-monolithic releases. Whatever upstream's versioning scheme is will
be followed here. I expect that versions will be independent of the
"xorg" release number rather than tracking it like in GNOME, but I'm not
positive.

> More to the immediate point, are the 6.8.99 snapshots going to be
> modularized more or less as they become available upstream (if it's not
> already happening, I haven't yet checked), or should we (I) expect a 6.99
> modularized meta-package set of snapshots to become available at some
> point?

Roughly as it happens upstream. I'm not going to waste time duplicating
the same work myself.

> Finally, are all the Gentoo local system location changes now (as of
> 6.8.2-r1 or r2?) complete, or are there still more coming?  IOW, are we
> testers now testing /only/ new xorg code, or are we still testing local
> system location changes as well?

Gentoo-local changes should be done, although upstream may be changing
/usr/lib/modules to /usr/lib/xserver/modules or something along those
lines, and perhaps a few similar changes.

> Also, one more question, local xorg configuration related.  I'm currently
> running dual VGA screen xinerama on a single dual-output Radeon AGP card.
> I'd /love/ to be able to run dual cards, an AGP and a PCI, letting me run
> up to four monitors, but have tried several different hardware
> arrangements and save for the success I had some time ago with a GForce2
> and NVidia's proprietary drivers (totalling three monitors on two cards),
> I've not gotten it working. Is there an official list of dual card
> supporting xorg drivers, anywhere, and/or perhaps an xorg-user list
> dealing with such things?  I did notice the note about r128 now supporting
> dual-card layout in the changes since 6.8.2 doc linked from above, which
> again reminded me that I'd like to get it working.  2 x 2048x1536, 21"
> monitors, stacked for 2048x3072, is nice, but a 2x2 layout for 4096x3072
> total display area would DEFINITELY be nicer!  =8^)

http://www.botchco.com/alex/dualhead/ might help. It's by the guy who
does much of the dual-head work in Xorg.

Thanks,
Donnie