Andrej Kacian wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:37:53 -0700
Drake Wyrm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I always thought that they were to keep 'emerge unmerge' from removing
an empty directory, but I could be wrong...

That, and to keep portage from removing empty directories during the
post-merge clean phase. Were it not for the .keep files, portage would
cheerfully remove any empty directories the first time the package was
upgraded.

Wouldn't it be possible for portage to just compare a dir in live filesystem
and in the emerge image, and if the dir in image contains .keep file, the live
dir wouldn't get deleted?

That dir isn't available at that point. And even if it would be, won't help as directories can be owned by multiple packages, and you definitely don't want to cross-check all installed packages for file ownership.

Marius