> 2)  There are gentoo.org references to #gentoo-dev, but the process of
> interfacing, mentoring, and recruiting are self-referential beginning
> with a bootstrap of being on the good side of an existing developer.  So
> for those of us who do not establish favorable dialogues by filing a
> bug, the door starts out closed.

In reference to the difficulties outlined regarding becoming a
developer above, I am in the process of becoming a dev without any
contact with developers beforehand except for filing a bug that
probably annoyed devs more than helped :P  I contacted the recruiting
group in response to a requirement for developers and they were glad
to get the process started provided that I showed evidence that I
would be an asset, mainly through input on bugs currently open.

I doubt that I am the only one who has this story, but that doesn't
mean your claim in #2 could not have happened to other people.  Did
you have any specific situations you were referring to when you wrote
that?

--
Joshua Baergen