On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 03:56:49PM -0400, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> Seems like use.force might be a bad name..... when I first read the
> email, and saw use.force, the first thing that came to mind was
> "gentoo forcing something?" and even after reading the email, I
> wouldn't expect to be able to override something that was "forced."
> I'm not sure what a better name would be, but I think there may be
> one...

use.force might not be the best name, but it's what we do with it for
most of our users. Being able to -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force
is just because /etc/portage/profile gets added to the cascaded profile
chain.  Everything we add to portage that allows a profile to revert
some behaviour added by parent profiles, can also be done with
/etc/portage/profile and it's good that way. So, that we're able to
-flag in use.force is just part of the way cascaded profiles work. It's
not a feature that will be added just to support use.force. Primary
reason for use.force is to have a way to activate flags even if USE="-*"
is in make.conf or environment.

> also, wouldn't the override be in use.unforce? >_<

No, looking at package.mask in profiles for example, package.unmask is a
level that comes after package.mask. First we mask packages and then we
check if the user want some of them to be unmasked. The actual removing
of a mask can be done with -mask'ing the exact mask in package.mask.
That's rarely used, but that's the way cascading profile work in
portage.

May the force be with you,
Sven

--