Hi,

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:40:39 -0500
Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Rafael Espíndola wrote:
> > I am using Gentoo to build some small systems. While things like the
> > minimal useflag is a joy, the monolithic nature of most gentoo
> > packages is a headache.
> >
> > Kde has been spit and libstdc++ can be installed without gcc but there
> > are many other packages that don't have this feature. For example,
> > installing qt also installs qt designer.
>
> Use INSTALL_MASK to keep it from getting installed. Keep both pieces.

I think that it's not the way to go because this will create
the exact problem that existed with installing an incomplete
kde before there where split ebuilds for it.

And this problem is that when you emerge a package it expects
it's dependencies to have the things it'll use form them. And
with INSTALL_MASK you brake this assumption in a way that there
is no easy way for an ebuild to verify that it's dependencies
have installed the things that the package needs.

So I think it may be good for some packages to be split in
several packages (but right now I can't think of any), but I
think it'll be much better introduce more granularity into
many ebuils with use flags. This is specially the case (in
my opinion) of packages that can have both client and server
functionality (the best example I can think of is net-fs/samba,
which I mostly use just to mount shares form other servers).

Just my 2 non convertible (i.e. non developers) cents.
Yuri.