On Friday 15 July 2005 09:25 pm, Michael Marineau wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Friday 15 July 2005 06:56 pm, Herbert Fischer wrote:
> >>Thanks... I saw that "bug" and saw that it is very old (from 2002) and
> >>nothing was done. Did you know why?
> >
> > hmm, us baselayout guys have discussed it before, but i guess we've never
> > posted to the bug
> >
> > the only thing we really have against it is the potential of developer
> > abuse ... that is, we feel that ebuild authors should *never* install a
> > file there, it should only ever contain files created by the user
>
> Does the risk of abuse outweigh the potential usefulness that much?  My
> vote would be to do more of this sort of thing.  Reducing the
> oppertunity for users to shoot themselves in the foot would be good.

err i dont see what this topic has to do with baselayout's problems
with /etc/profile.d functionality

we could care less what users do with /etc/profile.d ... the point is that
*only* users should use /etc/profile.d ... we dont want random Gentoo
developer Foo installing some Bar.sh into /etc/profile.d with package
app-crap/FooBar
-mike