On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:23:06 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Your suggestion of adding a few new virtuals is a good idea, but I
| think the metabuilds for libraries, drivers, etc. can substitute for
| it. It's not clear to me that there are many common configurations
| that could be dealt with cleanly by a virtual in a better way, that
| also retains a low level of complexity in the ebuilds.

Well... What I was mainly thinking (and assuming we don't have the new
virtuals system by whenever this becomes relevant) is that a metapackage
could represent, say, "the core x11 libraries as provided by xorg". This
is all well and good, but there are other X implementations out there.
It could well save a lot of work in the long term if deps were generally
upon "the core x11 libraries" instead.

| Frankly, the only reason the virtual will even exist after the 7.0
| release is so people have time to play catch-up. I don't want the
| virtual to stay in use.

Is it your assumption that in the future xorg-x11 will be the only
serious X server?

*shrug* I realise we make similar assumptions about a lot of packages,
but X is a) an at least vaguely standard protocol, b) heavily depended
upon and c) implemented by more than one vendor.

--
Ciaran McCreesh