This time I'll say something useful :)

Nathan, you seem to be misunderstanding open source.  You get the "I
can ask for features or suggest things" part, but not that "I can add
features or do things part".  No one is stopping you, or me, or an
average joe, or George W. Bush, from "peer reviewing".  You can see
the basic things that are commonly wrong by looking at a few
"resolved""wontfix" bugs with ciaranm as the commenter.  Most make the
same mistakes.  After seeing this, what is to stop you from either
manually looking through the tree, or writing a script to check for
you, and fixing some of the problems, submitting them as bugs when
they are fixed.   I cannot imagine any developer would say no to a
well written ebuild, they may wait for a version bump to switch to it,
but they most likely would not ignore it all together.

Hell, maybe if you do a good enough job, and show enough devotion, the
gentoo guru's will even think about making you a developer in charge
of fixing those things. who knows?