On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 23:13 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> The problem with this is that non-X boxes will be missing the terminfo
> descriptions.

Right.

> The problem with this is that some terminals gain new capabilities
> fairly regularly. One example is rxvt-unicode, which is still putting
> out regular releases.

I see...

> A third possibility is to split out the terminfo db from ncurses. This
> will let us do frequent updates if necessary. It may also help the
> embedded people -- we could add a USE=minimal which only installs
> 'common' definitions and leaves out support for obscure 1950s line
> printers. There may be a gaping hole in this idea. I haven't thought it
> through much...

Ripping out /etc/terminfo/ and /usr/share/terminfo from ncurses and
installing it as, say, ncurses-terminfo would make sense. I don't see
any obvious problems with this approach...

> That thing we don't have yet.

Aha.

./Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd