On Thursday 25 August 2005 21:17, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 13:41 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 August 2005 15:23, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> > > Same thing (and probably better option) if you put it in
> > > pkg_setup() ...
> >
> > Isn't pkg_setup run too when just building a binary package (-B)
> > (then the check shouldn't be performed), and just before installing a
> > binary package?
>
> True, but usually you build whatever on a machine that have
> capabilities to run it (not talking about cross-compiling).  And
> besides, I think its bad style to build something, and then bail after
> its done about something that could have been tested at setup time
> (think glibc testing tls/nptl capabilities only during pkg_preinst
> ...).

That's a different issue. The best way would be for some variable to be
set that indicates that a package is going to be build for installation
on the current host and not in a ROOT environment (the latter is easy). I
agree though that testing afterwards is also not a good solution from a
user interface perspective, locking the building of packages for a
differnent host is also unwanted though. Alternatively we could also
agree on an environment variable name that would be set if these kinds of
checks should be overridden. People knowing what they're doing could then
just use this I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING flag and be off.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer