On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:36:52 -0700 Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| No offense intended, but as a user, I /like/ to actually know that a
| package keyworded for my arch (segment) is known to work on it in full
| (IMHO) uncrippled amd64 form, not in some (IMHO) "crippled 32-bit
| special case". If we went the other way and removed x86 keywording
| from everything that failed in 64-bit mode, including all 32-bit only
| codecs and the like, x86(32) arch(segment) folks would rightly be
| wailing in protest.
|
| Again, no offense intended, but unless you have some magic way to fix
| that situation, perhaps the MIPS devs and users are willing to live
| with that problem on MIPS, but neither x86(32) users nor amd64 users
| (and by this I'm including devs, which are obviously users as well)
| are interested in being saddled with an unnecessary problem, when the
| current situation avoids it, or I expect the amd64 keyword would have
| never been added.

It's not magic. We've been handling packages that work on sparc64 but
not sparc32 for years with a single keyword. Just because you (and,
from the looks of things, most of the x86 and amd64 developers) don't
know about some of portage's features doesn't mean they don't exist :)

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm