Kevin F. Quinn wrote:

On 5/9/2005 1:29:57, Ciaran McCreesh ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 1:12:54 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| 3) All packages need to be assigned an x86 arch team member
|    responsible.

Why?

Because if only the x86 arch team can mark stuff stable, anything
without representation on the x86 arch team will stay unstable forever.
Maybe rather than one specific arch team member, several would
undertake to manage otherwise unassigned packages.
Well, but, assigning each ebuild an x86 arch member is not the same than
to have the package mantainer taking care of that? , i think the idea with the arch team
is to centralize QA.

| 6) I notice the amd64 team requre their arch testers to
|    take the ebuild quiz; I think this is a bit harsh, as
|    arch testers are regular users without commit access to
|    CVS etc.  A simpler quiz targetted at ensuring the arch
|    testers know what is expected of them would lower the
|    bar and should encourage more users to join in.  Using
|    the ebuild quiz means you get people who quickly become
|    devs in their own right...

The ebuild quiz isn't particularly difficult... If the proposed "write
an ebuild for equizapp" question goes through then maybe they could be
exempt from that until they need cvs access, but the main ebuild quiz
just tests basic understanding.

I guess it comes down to what you want a tester to do. In my mind, the
task of a tester is to emerge the package normally, record the use flag
configuration, and exercise the application as much as possible.  Possibly
repeating with other use flag configurations.  If you want testers to do
ebuild QA, then the ebuild quiz becomes relevant, but I don't think it's
a good idea..

We could write a basic 'arch team' quiz?. It might be a slightly modified version of the ebuild quiz.If the arch team menber wanna be a Gentoo dev with commit access he could
just take the ebuild quiz later.

And if for example someone takes the ebuild quiz , he could be both a dev and a arch team
member of course, in other words, the arch team quiz would be a sub-set of
the ebuild quiz targeted for arch teams.