050906 Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 01:06, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 050905 Jason Stubbs wrote:
>>> it's possible that unmerging slotted packages of the one key
>>> may break your system. How's about not warning
>>> if there's more than one installed cat/pkg (rather than cat/pkg-ver)
>>> satisfying the profile atom that is being triggered?
>> -- patch snipped --
>> I'ld say that the behaviour should be left alone
>> pending a larger rewrite of Portage's handling of this kind of thing.
>> Meanwhile, simply amend the warning to read in red letters eg
>
> Why?
>
>>   "WARNING : removing this package may break your system !!
>>    Have you checked that you have a proper alternative installed ??
>>    If you are not certain what you are doing, please STOP NOW !!
>>
>>    Do you want to proceed (NO/yes) ? "
>
> No.

Sorry, but that's neither adequate nor polite as a response
to the genuine problem which I raised as the original poster.
The answer to your question should be clear from the rest of my message
-- the present warning is misleading, as everyone has agreed --
& your other response needs some explanation on your part.
Someone else has suggested that Portage can't handle a N/Y of this kind,
but in that case please offer some confirmation at least.

Do you respond so abruptly to your neighbours or colleagues at work ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]