On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 11:58 +0200, Torsten Veller wrote:
> To me maintainer-needed is always a first step before a package gets
> masked and removed from the tree.

Agreed.  Set the herd to maintainer-needed.  Since there isn't an actual
maintainer-needed herd, there's no need to add it to herds.xml or
anything.

> Well, i was told that adding the maintainer-needed herd is not a good
> idea and it is best to remove metadata.xml if no valuable information
> remains.

I would say definitely not.  The herd information can be polled by
jeeves, so it *is* valuable to have maintainer-needed in there.

> I couldn't find information on that. Can somebody explain?

Everything should have metadata.  Removing it only adds more work for
someone else later.

> 2)
> What is the next step after the last maintainer is removed from metadata.xml?

Reassign all bugs open for the package to maintainer-needed.

> Well i announced these packages on -dev. Now i can wait some time (how
> long?) and then?

Nothing.  You leave them alone.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager