On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 20:27 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
> > Thank you for the opportunity. Apparently though, my submissions have
> > already been rejected Ciaran. It's important to realize that the
> > submissions were intended to AID the developers, not to necessarily be
> > PERFECT in every way.
> 
> Of course they have been criticized by Ciaran.  In case you didn't know, 
> he does this for *every* maintainer-wanted ebuild.  They are only 
> rejected as long as they have problems.  If you fix them, they will be 
> accepted if some dev takes responsibility for them, or is recruited to 
> maintain them.  It's really that simple  Sounds like a case where you 
> can't stand to have anyone review your work.
> 
> > I submitted the ebuilds in good faith in the hope they would help myself
> > and others get the portage tree wrt ROX up to date and correct
> > breakages. In that my "spacing" was not liked, or my "descriptions" were
> > too long is irrelevant.
> 
> No, it isn't irrelevant.  We strive to make the portage tree to be of 
> high quality.  Why settle for less?
> 
> -Steve

Oh, flame on! When I submitted many of the ebuilds, I had no idea the
rox maintainers were AWOL. I just assumed that they would take heed of
the version bumps, small changes made to existing ebuilds, and update
portage. It was not my intent to replace the maintainers or to re-invent
their efforts. I thought that having a new up-to-date ebuild would save
time for the maintainers.

I did not know that there were none anymore. As I wrote privately to
Ciaran, if I WAS auditioning to become a dev, then sure, I need the
comments. However, I was using:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ebuild-submit.xml as my guide -- the goal
being to alert the devs that new stuff was out and that certain
breakages needed fixing.

If the goal was to keep portage quality high, take heed of user comments
when it comes to updating packages. We all share that goal.


--
Peter

-- 
[email protected] mailing list

Reply via email to