On Monday 12 September 2005 14:26, Frank Schafer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we meet often the (faulty) notion that autoconf/automake (even a couple
> of versions on gentoo) is a dependency for packages.
>
> This is true only for development of these packages itself.
> Autoconf/automake provides tools to GENERATE configure scripts. Both are
> totally unnecessary to build a package or run the programs it provides.
> I've built a full featured LFS system not long ago without even
> autoconf/automake installed.
>
> I'd suggest to remove the build of autoconf/automake from ``emerge
> system''. I'd leave all of the autoconf/automake versions in portage
> tough for the case someone wants to involve in development of some
> package.

One reason is that there are many packages that have faulty/incomplete
versions of the scripts, or that have patches applied to the configure
script. For those packages automake/autoconf must be installed at make time
as automake/autoconf must be ran during the building of those packages.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer