On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:57:26AM -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
> > Agreed.  It should be syslog-ng.  If nobody objects, I'll change it in
> > base/virtuals.
>
> Objecting, obviously ;)
[...]
> I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
> default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
> /var/log/messages" :)

We've had metalog as the example log daemon in the Gentoo Handbook in the
past. Every time it was added, we got a nice bug about why metalog was a bad
default and syslog-ng should be used.

I'm not on the I'net right now, but if you annotate the
[gentoo]/xml/htdocs/doc/en/handbook/hb-install-tools.xml file you'll see a
bunch of reasons over the past few changes.

Afaik, most architectures prefer syslog-ng.

Wkr,
      Sven Vermeulen

--
  Gentoo Foundation Trustee          |  http://foundation.gentoo.org