Mike Frysinger wrote:

On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:25 pm, Stefan Jones wrote:
dev-util/xmingw-binutils  dev-util/xmingw-runtime
dev-util/xmingw-gcc       dev-util/xmingw-w32api

i'd prefer to see these moved into the normal binutils/gcc ebuilds myself

I do not think that would ever work well; the bootstrap method is a bit to out of sync with the GNU/Linux target
Plus it would mean I would step on the gcc maintainers toes alot.

[ xmingw cross compiled libraries]

are these libraries special ? that is, are these things specific to xmingw ? or are they just ebuilds which take normal packages and force them to be compiled with the xmingw toolchain ?

About half (guess) are xmingw spercific; will not compile in GNU/Linux.

Others are normal libraries which work on Linux but need special tricks to get working with the crosscompiler.

if they are xmingw-specific, then they should be added to the tree as sep packages, but if they are normal packages and these ebuilds are special hacks to cross compile them with xmingw, then they have no business in the tree
But what is the difference in effect? Both are libraries for the xmingw toolchain, but a line would need to be drawn otherwise I might as well port the entire cygwin distribution!

Out of tree collection looks good; but I doubt anyone will find it and I do not really use xmingw!

Stefan