2005-10-20, Petteri Räty sanoi, jotta:

> Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> > 2005-10-19, Petteri Räty sanoi, jotta:
> >
> >>might translate the longdescriptions
> >>in metadata.xml files to Finnish.
> >

> > Hmm, can I suggest some QA or similar stuff for these before
> > committing? I don't fully know what's the visibility of this stuff
> > though, but I'd feel much nicer if they were at least proofread or
> > peer evaluated once before providing them to public. I don't mean to
> > question your Finnish capabilities of course, I've just
> > participated in Finnish localisations of Open Source things long
> > enough to know how bad Finnish some people can produce.
> >

> I think herdstat can use this data but that's about it I think.

In that kind of case it's of course not needed. I was more thinking
along the lines that if they are commonly visible to end user via eg.
packages.gentoo.org or using some emerge or equery command, or possibly
even graphical package managers or even installer, then they will need
to be in top shape.

> Considering that every developer can add the English longdescriptions
> there without any peer review, I think it would be an overkill for
> Finnish translations. But if this is a problem I can of course run
> some diffs through you or something.

Well, any developer can add English documentation in to w.g.o webspace
as it is, and any developer can also write very visible e* output to
ebuilds etc. etc., so I suppose the quality standard has wider threshold
for English in general. Or perhaps we just trust that all gentoo
developers write perfect English already :-)

--
Flammie, Gentoo Linux Documentation's Finnish head translator.
<http://dev.gentoo.org/~flammie>