On Thursday 20 October 2005 17:28, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Dan Armak wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 October 2005 09:11, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > To keep the current behaviour, the kde metaebuild (and gnome and the
> > other WMs) would have to depend on xorg-x11, which strictly speaking is
> > unnecessary. Opinions? How can we educate the users to manually 'emerge
> > xorg-x11'? Personally I'm in favor of updating the docs, making a big
> > announcement on all channels, and preparing a nice bug to close
> > duplicates against.
> >
> > We'll also need to educate them about xorg-x11 not installing fonts any
> > longer. The way I understood your metabuilds.txt, 'emerge xorg-x11 kde'
> > would result in an unusable system without any fonts at all...
>
> a useflag could solve the issue as well a all inclusive metaebuild for X.
To solve this issue it would have to be an on-by-default flag, i.e.
'noxserver'. I know some people are strongly against nofoo flags.

Also, we'd have to include RDEPEND="!noxserver? ( x11-base/xorg-x11 )" in
every ebuild in the tree being updated to depend on x11-base/xorg-libs. Or an
eclass to the same effect. This would be easily forgotten in new ebuilds, and
then we'd get inconsistent behavior.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)