On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 02:54:51PM +0100, Andrej Kacian wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 01:51:25 +0000
> Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The attached GLEP is a draft proposal for the emerge --news thing that's
> > been under discussion. There are still some TODO items. These are calls
> > for people to weigh in with suggestions. Of course, suggestions on other
> > items are good too...
>
> Before this, make pre-install and post-install emerge messages more usable,
> instead of having them lost among thousands of gibberish text in batch
> emerges.

I always ask myself what's wrong with doing a simple "if"
statement before displaying infos, warnings or errors which
don't affect the current installaion.

No one complained when i started doing that ages ago in
bash-completion.

I don't mean huge and resource hungry tests. But why tell the
user that he should remove a file in /etc with einfo when it
doesn't even exist? (That's just an example)

Some ebuilds do this now, but most still broadcast (sometimes
huge) text floods.