On Saturday 05 November 2005 06:34, Alec Warner wrote:

> emerge --changelog has no 'official' format.  I believe echangelog
> actually puts the changes in the correct format for emerge -l to read,
> however not everyone uses echangelog.  Many developers commit in an
> incompatable syntax causing the parsing to fail.  This I believe, is an
> implementation issue.  Obviously if someone is trying to get an upgrade
> guide to users they aren't going to commit in an incompatable format.

I would also like to add that the changelog has too much information to be
usefull as a news source. In all honesty, when I'm emerging a new version
of a package I'm not interested in keyword bumps, small cosmetic changes,
added auxiliary scripts or documentation. These are all documented (and
should be) in the changelog. If I update my system however, I'm mainly
interested in knowing whether something is going to break. News would be
a way to provide this knowledge to a user in an as concise as possible
way.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze